Spring has officially arrived and, with it, new opportunities to help keep your skin glowing from the inside out, because we know that what you put in your body is just as important as what you put on your skin.
The Sonäge team is excited about the bounty of fabulous, flavor-filled fruits and vegetables about to hit the local farmer’s market and grocery store this time of year, including rhubarb, apricots, pineapples, broccoli, peas, radishes and one of our favorites – asparagus.
We love those long, skinny spears and here’s why. Asparagus is chock-full of folic acid as well as vitamins A and E. These two vitamins are antioxidants, which are fantastic for your skin because they work to prevent the formation of free radicals, unstable molecules that break down the cell membranes, destroying collagen and causing wrinkles in the process. Folic acid helps to firm the skin and reduce aging. It gives you a natural glow and helps keep your skin looking moisturized.
To celebrate the season, we tapped Sonäge contributor and lifestyle guru Robyn Moreno for a simply fabulous recipe that is full of bright, lemony flavors, fresh seasonal asparagus and is wonderful for skin health.
Spring Asparagus Tart
Total Time: 25 minutes
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, defrosted
1 bunch of thin spring asparagus, tough ends trimmed
1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh herbs or micro-greens to serve (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and roll your puff pastry out on top of it.
2. Arrange the asparagus in an even layer over the puff pastry sheet, trying not to overlap them.
3. Drizzle the whole tart with the olive oil, and sprinkle over the lemon zest and a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Bake the tart for 15-20 minutes, until slightly golden and puffed.
5. Increase the oven temperature to 425, sprinkle the goat cheese evenly over the tart, and bake for another 3-5 minutes. The cheese should be slightly softened and the tart crust a golden brown. Sprinkle with herbs or micro-greens if desired, and enjoy!
Robyn Moreno is a Latina Lifestyle Expert, Emmy-nominated TV Host, and Author. As a sought after lifestyle expert, Robyn appears regularly on The Today Show, Weekend Today, the CBS Early Morning Show, The Steve Harvey Show, Fox and Friends, CNBC, and Better TV among other national and local outlets. Robyn has written three books, including her most recent, “Hecho by You: Make a life you love, from the inside out.”