Nothing says summer quite like watermelon. With 4th of July weekend quickly approaching, we wanted to elevate this seasonal favorite to an adult friendly salad that’s a perfect addition to any party and a great alternative to the slew of unhealthy outdoor eats we’ve come to expect of the holiday.
This “recipe” is so easy it’s barely a recipe. Just combine delicious ingredients for a refreshing and satisfying snack or appetizer. There aren’t any measurements because you can portion it for as many people as needed or enjoy solo.
Best of all: watermelon is full of health and skin benefits.
Watermelon boasts heart health benefits and anti-inflammatory properties and contains fiber which aids digestion. Because they’re about 92% water, watermelons are a great food to help you stay hydrated (especially in the summer heat), plus their juice is full of good electrolytes. Vitamin A is stellar for your skin, and just a cup of watermelon contains nearly one-quarter of your daily recommended intake of it. Vitamin A helps keep skin and hair moisturized, and it also encourages healthy growth of new collagen and elastin cells.
Delicious and nutritious? Cue the fireworks!
- Feta Cheese (can be skipped or subbed for veg version)
- Red Onion
- Fresh Mint
- Olive Oil
- Salt (preferably Pink Himalayan Sea Salt – it’s the healthiest)
- Black Pepper
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Honey (raw, local and organic if possible)
- Optional: Bay Leaf and/or Rosemary Twig
1. Chop or slice the watermelon according to your preference (we did cubes), then lay it out on your serving platter or individual plates.
2. To make the balsamic reduction (for drizzling) combine balsamic vinegar and honey together in a small saucepan and place over high heat (ratio should be 1 to ¼ vinegar to honey). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the vinegar mixture has reduced, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool while you do the rest.
Pro Tip: Add bay leaf and/or rosemary while boiling for an additional layer of flavor.
3. THINLY slice the onion. We mean as thin as possible…if you can see through it – you did good. We find it helps if nobody is watching while you do this part.
4. Crumble up your feta.
5. Chiffonade the mint leaves. Lay(wo)men’s terms: layer several leaves on top of each other and roll them up, then cut thinly across so you have ribbons. Still unclear? Let Martha show you the way.
6. Drizzle olive oil over the watermelon and sprinkle with salt and pepper (to your liking).
7. Top with crumbled feta, onion slices and mint and then drizzle the whole situation with the balsamic reduction.
Before you head for that outdoor soiree or to the beach though, don’t forget the sun protection. Our recently launched Protec Plus Natural SPF 30 is a lightweight, natural mineral sunscreen that works hard to fight free radicals and environmental aging. Best of all, we’re donating 50% of its sales to Non Toxic Revolution™.